Ponce de Leon Middle School is a school rich in history. It was originally built as the first high school in the City of Coral Gables. Construction began in the fall of 1925, and it was originally called Ponce de Leon University High School. The three oldest structures on the campus are Building 100, 200, and the gymnasium, which were constructed between 1925‐1930. In 2008, building 100 and the gymnasium were designated as Historical Reconstructions.